Sunday, April 15, 2007

College Night

Brag:

So, at Rice, all our dorms are separated into colleges, and you pretty much stay at the same dorm for all 4 years. Each semester, we have a college night, where the college buys booze and food, and you start drinking from the afternoon until you pass out. Well this year our theme was global warming and below was the email my friends sent out to the college:


***************************
GLOBAL WARMING has caused large areas of the Arctic ice shelf to break off and
melt, diluting the North Atlantic Ocean with large amounts of fresh water.. This
has disrupted the ocean's thermohaline circulation and slowed the Gulf Stream,
causing a rapid heating of the northern hemisphere. This has triggered a series
of anomalies, which have led to a coming GLOBAL SUPERSTORM hovering over
Hanszen College. The impact of the storm on Hanszen is uncertain, but
scientists are predicting that THE END IS NEAR.

There is only one solution.

Hanszen must PARTY LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW. This could easily be our last
College Night ever. Let's celebrate the power that is Global Warming. A
little rain is no excuse!

***************************

Well, this was the most fun I've had at a college night at my time at Rice. We got this inflatable slide with a tiny pull on the end, and we basically got really drunk and started doing all types of crazy shit down the slide. I think my highlight was a backwards slide, with a flip (inadvertently) half way down the slide.


Beat:

I was careful for the entire day not to put my shoulders at risk. I have dislocated my left one 8/9 times in my lifetime, and the right one once. Well, I was watching out for it the whole day. I didn't attempt going on the slip and slide head first because I didn't want to expose my shoulder. Near the end of they day, I decided to join in a game of slide HORSE. You had to replicate the slide of choice by the leader. Part way through the game, I attempted to go into a Superman pose, bounce off the slide, and then kick out my legs to end up going feet first down. On the bounce, I felt my right shoulder pop out. I was pretty pissed off at myself.



On a different note, later that night I went out to a bar with some of my friends. I usually don't get that many sugary drinks, but I guess tonight was one of those exceptions. The first somewhat notable drink I tried was a Yummy Bear or a Pink Beer. It's a shot of framboise, which is a raspberry lambic stout (one of the bar tenders explained this to us), and PaulanerHefeweizen. I really like Hefeweizen, so I thought this drink could be amazing. It was a little too fruity for my taste. The raspberry really overpowers the entire drink. Later on, I had a Colorado Bulldog. It's basically a White Russian with coke. I really liked this drink. Not only did it taste like a milkshake, but it brought me back to my high school days. If you haven't seen the movie "The Big Lebowski", I urge you to go watch it. I think it's one of the funniest and best movies I have ever seen. In high school, I watched this movie a lot. And there would be times, when we would do a Lebowski and White Russian night. We'd also smoke some weed to complete the Lebowski trifecta. Those were fun times. If you haven't had a White Russian, that's a damn good drink as well. Tastes like chocolate milk. I remember when I was younger I used to drink a lot of chocolate milk, I haven't touched that stuff in over a decade. Well the Colorado Bulldog was tasty, but it also elicits a lot of great and happy memories for me, perhaps from simpler times in my life.

No comments: