Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My 2/4nl debacle

Well, up till the late March, I thought I was doing pretty well for 1/2nl. So, I decided to steadily take shots at 2/4nl.

I first started buying in short, and I would play extremely tight. I was looking pretty much to double up. I think I was pretty much a break even player when I was doing this. I've never given too much thought about how to play a short stack, so, this was what I attributed that break even stretch to. I realized that I was still playing all pocket pairs, and at points I was set mining. That's not a good strategy with a short stack. I realized this. However, sitting at the 2/4nl tables let me get some idea of how they played, and I finally decided to start buying in with full stacks.

My first couple forays didn't go so well, I probably lost 2 buyins pretty handily because I was 6 tabling. I had four tables of 1/2nl and two of 2/4nl. Recognizing that this was a big leak, I decided that I was going to drop down to just 4 tables, and play only 2/4nl.

Well, my results were less than stellar.


Well up to about hand 2500, I was buying in short. As you can see, nothing much was going on. However, I then lost 2/3 buyins when I 6 tabled, and then, a lot of my hard work just went down the drain in one session.

I lost roughly 10 buyins in one session. I don't want to say that I went on tilt like I used to do, but I wasn't playing good poker at all. I probably decided to worst time of day to start playing 2/4nl. I decided to play at the end of a long winning session in 1/2nl. It was 2am CST, and none of the regular games were going on in Absolute Poker. Most of the players were regulars, and I got utterly destroyed and outplayed.

It doesn't help that Absolute doesn't have a lot of games going on. So, at night, it seems as if the 5/10nl players and 10/25nl players, move down to the next highest stake at 2/4nl. So, I was getting played back a lot. I guess I may have initially painted a target on my back because I think at first I was playing scared. I would fold top pair good kicker to any flop raise, and I really just wanted a lot of my hands to go to showdown. Well after a while of leaking like that, I got a little frustrated. I started moving at pots, however, people either had hands and wasn't folding to my moves, or, they were being way too over aggro. Regardless, I decided not to fight them, and just laid a lot of hands down.

As you can see, I wasn't winning any pots at all. I have to admit, the cards really weren't going well for me, but I definitely wasn't playing my "A" game. Plus, I should have quit when I lost 5 buyins, but I lacked the self control needed, and tried to power through it. Silly me.

During that stretch, I more than 4 buyins with AKs/AKo, 1/2 buyin with AA, 1/2 buyin with KK, and the rest may have been spew. Not sure.


Here are a couple AK hands.

I posted this on 2p2. And got a lot of comments on it. Some said to check the turn, others said to shove the turn. But this guy had been floating me so much, that I think I should have shoved this turn. I'm not sure about calling that all in. I guess I haven't played with him enough for me to figure out what he shoves with. I also should have reraised a lot bigger pre flop. I did this on Absolute and there was no bet pot button, and I screwed up my pot calculation.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?990575


This one was heads up. I don't think I can get away from it. I was check shoving the whole way. This was against the same guy above. I don't know what he thought I had on the flop, but I got absolutely no respect from this guy, and constantly floated me.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?990592


Here's another one. I don't know what this guy thinks I'm repping. I guess that shove right there really does look like a straight draw, but I didn't want to reraise and have him flat call and be left with a difficult decision on the turn. And he does have the up and down straight draw, and he has one of my outs. GAMBOOL!

http://www.pokerhand.org/?990586


Here's another one where my tptk is no good. Up to this point, a lot of people were calling my cbets and then firing on the turn when I checked. I checked with the intention of shoving.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?990600


Here's the AA hand that I screwed up. This is against a stupid donk. I should have shoved the flop. I was going to shove the turn, until the absolute worse card came out. I think it was a good fold.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?990613


Feel free to berate me if you think I played these hands like a donkey. I don't think I played them too bad, other than calling the shove on the river when the guy had trips.

No comments: